Monday, January 23, 2012

Once Upon a Time

I've ALWAYS had a soft spot for fairy tales. When I was little, I still remember a trip to an Antique Store. My mom had taken my brother and I. And there was this big book of Fairy tales. Printed in the 1950s. And I wanted it! So badly!!!

But before we had even gone inside, my mom had told us, we each had $5 to spend. That was it. Because she was there to buy a dresser. For our new baby! My dear book, was $10. Because it was gigantic! My brother had found, a big yellow dump truck. He really wanted his toy too!

I think you know by now, that my big brother and I, were super close. He was just so good to me. Always taking care of me. Robert, was seriously, the best big brother you could dream up! Well, he saw me. Pining over my book...

He came up to me, and asked me what was wrong. I told him, that I wanted this book. It had all these stories. All about princesses, and far off places. The pictures were amazing! But I didn't have enough money. He put down his truck. And picked up my book. I remember him studying it. With such intensity. Then he took my hand, and told me that we'd buy it.

I was in shock! 4 years old, and in shock! I didn't want him to miss out on his truck. But Robert insisted, this was much more important. So I helped him hide his truck. I promised myself, that I'd buy it for him. For his birthday. (I did! And I'll have to blog about that, another day.) And we bought our book.

From then on, we would sit and read together. Robert would read me 1 story, every day. Well into the time, he started middle school. Once, when I had gotten my heart broken, my brother had gone to search for our book. It had been a few years since we had read from it. I was a teen already. And Robert read to me, while I cried. I remember this. Because it was so incredibly sweet!

And after Robert past away, I found myself, going to his grave. To read to him. It made me feel close to my big brother. And it always comforted me. I still have this book. It's so special to me! And I read to my kids, out of the book, that my brother bought me. :)

As you can tell, I've always had this soft spot for fairy tales. When I heard about Once Upon a Time, I just had to watch it! I've quickly become a HUGE fan! For about 3 months now, I've never missed an episode!



I'm telling you, you need to watch this show. It's like the adults' version of our most beloved Fairy tales. I LOVE it! It's like the background, to all of our favorite stories. It's funny, every time that I watch this show, I think of my brother. I think of all those nights, when he'd read me a new story. And in some way, I feel close to him again. Like we're watching this together!

~Manders

No comments: