Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Little Things

I'm convinced that it is the little things in life that make life worth living.

After Lauren's nap today, she brought me a book. Her favorite one. T-Lo gave it to her when I was still pregnant with her. The Farm Animal book. She climbed onto the couch and sat on my lap. Her head lay on my heart.

I won't lie here. I hadn't been feeling well. I had actually been having my worse day of morning sickness. S had taken the girls to dance practice and had fed Lauren lunch before bringing her home. And as soon as she got home, she wanted to nap. I was half relieved, half grateful to God. And I lay on the couch, eyes closed, with GH on. Praying that Billy would get home early from my parents' house. He had left to help my dad remove some dead trees. And he figured he wouldn't be home until late.

And all at once, my daughter brightened my day. We read about her animals. And she told me that she loved me. And liked to hear my heartbeat. Then with no real thought behind it. She kissed my head and told me I would feel better soon. I almost started to cry.

Then the thing I would pay a million dollars if Billy could have seen. Lauren bent over and kissed my stomach. And started talking to her "new baby." "I love you. I want to play wit you. An kiss you. Be good girl for mommy. I love you." She kissed my stomach again, then rubbed it softly as she lay her head back on me.

By this time, the tears were slowly coming out. I know that my daughter understands that we are having a baby. She understands the love I have for her. And she loves her new baby, even if she has never met the baby. Even if my stomach is not yet a belly. She knows.

~Manders

No comments: